Thursday, January 08, 2009

#42 progress.

All righty. Loads done today as I have pretty much all my free time in a week on a Thursday.

before work, I shaped the back brace and glued it into place.

Photobucket

later, once the glue had set I trimmed the brace and glued the back onto the rim.

Photobucket

Photobucket

the rosette.

Originally I had intended this......

Photobucket

but it wasn't turning out right, so as the neck and body are to be bound in maple, I thought why not the soundhole too? Not many folks bind soundholes as it's pretty fiddley, but as the spalted maple doesn't provide anything in the way of strength I thought a maple/rosewood sandwich around the inside of the soundhole would be just the business... nowhere near as complicated as I thought it was going to be.......

Photobucket

then without the bandages and sanded out.........

Photobucket

then the top brace shaped, the joint cut and all glued in place. the glue was wiped after the pic was taken, HONEST!!

Photobucket

I MIGHT get the braces carved tomorrow and the top glued on, but that'll be it for a week as we have our school open night next Thursday and I need some time to turn my mando building workshop back into a classroom!!

Also, the maple binding and fretboard are in the post from Ohio, the tuners in the post from Canada and the bone for the nut in the post from Taiwan, so until they arrive I'm beached anyway!!

OH yes, I sanded a bit at #40 today too.....

Photobucket

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Married with 4 kids, Christian, worship leader, luthier