right, the top......
the outside is rough carved first, to an arch (whoda thunk it?)
then I set the pillar drill to about 15 mm and drilled a bunch of holes all over the inside. I removed the wood on the inside down to the depth of the holes
Then a LOAD of fine carving to smooth the inside.
Now, the top is roughly 12 mm thick all over, but it needs to come down to about 5mm before I start fine tuning.
I need to do 2 things. sharpen my chisels, and rig a set of calipers to measure the thickness as I go, because after about 8 hours work, I REALLY don't want to stick the chisel through the top!!
- ► 2011 (50)
- ► 2010 (69)
- ► 2009 (104)
- Finished pics of the bass..... stacked volumes, m...
- right, the top...... the outside is rough carved ...
- Archtop!! OK, here goes on an archtop. On the ch...
- So, another few coats of clear, sanded out, then ...
- So, next step with the bass.... sand out the...
- Wow, it seems like MONTHS since I've posted anythi...
- ▼ September (6)
- ► 2007 (63)